FAA Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health (RQF)
Who should attend?
Each year approximately 1 in 4 people in the UK will experience a mental health condition and at least 1 in 6 employees experience common mental health problems in the workplace. Research has shown that work is the biggest cause of stress which can stop people performing at their best.
Mental health conditions are often hidden due to stigma and fear of discrimination and research has shown that a culture of fear and silence around mental health is costly to employers.
This 12-hour qualification provides delegates with the knowledge to recognise a wide range of mental health conditions and learn about the support/therapy provided by professional healthcare providers. They will know how to start a supportive conversation and when and how to signpost a person to seek appropriate professional help. Delegates will recognise and manage stress and understand the impact of substance abuse.
Delegates will learn about the first aid action plan for mental health, be able to put it in place and understand how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace.
Delegates will not diagnose or treat mental health conditions as this can only be carried out by healthcare professionals but will gain the knowledge to identify when a person may have a condition and know where they can go to get help.
Course Aims & Objectives
This 2-Day course goes into detail on a wide range of mental health conditions and the support and help provided by healthcare professionals. It covers the content of both the Level 1 and Level 2 qualifications but is aimed at Trainer/Assessors and/or supervisor level within the workplace.
By the end of the course delegates will:
- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a suspected mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
- Understand a range of mental health disorders and the support/therapy provided by professional healthcare providers
A range of First Aid for Mental Health related subjects are covered including:
- What is First Aid for Mental Health?
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Identifying mental health conditions
- Providing advice and starting a conversation
- Eating disorders
- Mental health conditions
- Personality disorders
- Drugs and alcohol
- Bipolar disorder
- First Aid for Mental Health action plan
- First Aid for Mental Health in the workplace
A Level 3 Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health will be issued, subject to successful assessment. A range of assessment methods are used, including practical and questioning (open and multiple-choice). It is recommended that this qualification is refreshed every 3 years.
We can offer courses on company premises for a maximum of 16 delegates or upcoming open courses in your local area.
Share this Course