Principles of Manual Handling – Level 2 Award (RQF)
Who should attend?
This qualification is suitable for all employees to raise their awareness of the risks of unsafe manual handling practices and for people who might have to carry out manual handling as part of their job, e.g. handling deliveries, parcels and boxes. It is suitable:
- To raise awareness about the importance of safe manual handling
- As an introduction to those starting work which may involve carrying out manual handling activities
- For those returning to work where manual handling activities may be required
- As safety refresher training
Note: This qualification is a theory based qualification. Learners who need practical training should complete QA Level 2 Award in Safe Moving and Handling (QCF).
Course Aims & Objectives
The objective of the qualification is to benefit Learners through developing their understanding of the principles of safe manual handling, so they can apply what they have learned to their working environment and make their practices safer.
By the end of the course delegates will:
- Understand the reasons for safe manual handling
- Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- Common manual handling injuries
- Manual handling laws
- Responsibilities of employers and employees
- Risk assessments
- Safe movement principles associated with manual handling, including the body’s:
- Musculoskeletal system
- Centre of gravity
- Lever system
- Theory of safe manual handling principles, including:
- Preparing for a lift
- Solo lifting, carrying and lowering an object
- Team manual handling
- Manual handling equipment:
- Types of manual handling aids and equipment
- Maintenance and requirements for testing
Delegates are assessed throughout the course by the trainer and need to complete a written assessment at the end of the course. Successful delegates will receive a QA Level 2 Award in Principles of Manual Handling Certificate. It is recommended that you refresh this qualification every 3 years.
We can offer courses on company premises for a maximum of 12 delegates or upcoming open courses in your local area.
Share this Course