Food Safety in Retail – Level 2 Award (RQF)
Who should attend?
This qualification is for people working, or planning to work, in a food retail environment, e.g. supermarkets, corner shops or premises with hot and chilled food display counters.
Course Aims & Objectives
The objective of the qualification is to educate Learners who work in a food retail environment about food safety. It includes how individuals have a personal responsibility for food safety, the importance of personal hygiene, keeping work areas clean and hygienic, safe food handling practices and keeping food products safe.
By the end of the course delegates will:
- Understand how individuals can take personal responsibility for food safety
- Understand the importance of keeping him/herself clean and hygienic
- Understand the importance of keeping the work areas clean and hygienic
- Understand the importance of keeping products safe
- The importance of food safety
- Food safety laws
- Legal responsibilities of food handlers
- Types of contamination and the associated risks
- Food poisoning
- Foodborne illnesses
- An introduction to Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP)
- Personal hygiene
- Design of premises and equipment
- Cleaning and disinfection
- Waste disposal
- Pest control
- Safe food handling practices including time and temperature controls
- Cooking & reheating
- Hot holding
- Displaying food
- Temperature measuring devices
- Core temperatures
- Food preservation
- Stock control procedures
- Food spoilage
Delegates are assessed throughout the course by the trainer and need to complete a written assessment at the end of the course. Successful delegates will receive a QA Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Retail certificate. It is recommended that this qualification is refreshed every 3 years.
We can offer courses on company premises for a maximum of 16 delegates or upcoming open courses in your local area.
Share this Course